By Meg Crane
Being a vegan can be a hell of a lot of fun, but it takes away much of the use of the kitchen’s most fun cooking utensil: the meat cleaver.
We’ve found a way to put it back to use in the most delicious, and cruelty-free way.
Got some frustrations to get out? Better make some smashed potatoes tonight.
- New potatoes (We mean those little ones, not fresh. Although fresh potatoes are a good idea too…)
- Herbs and spices (optional)
- Boil your potatoes until they are tender.
- Lay the potatoes out on a greased baking sheet then take a meat cleaver to ‘em.
- Once all you potatoes are flattened, drizzle oil over them. If you’re into herbs and spices, sprinkle your faves on top.
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees Farhenheit and put them in right away. There’s no need to waste energy preheating when you’re not baking pastries!
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are browned, then take them out to flip. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Once both sides are crispy and brown, take those suckers out.
- You can eat them as is, drown in gravy or put whatever else you want on them. Choose your own adventure!
Meg Crane is the founder of Cockroach. Follow her on Twitter.