At the Immigrant’s Table kindly shared this recipe.
A soak in a simple Asian marinade transforms tofu from a strange sponge to a delicious, juicy source of protein. Tucked inside corn taco shells and topped with avocado and zesty cabbage, it becomes a delicious, quick lunch.
- 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 6 Tbs of Bragg’s amino acids (or soy sauce)
- 3 Tbs of rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tb of Sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon of Chinese five spice powder
- 3 Tbs of water
- ½ cup of homemade sauerkraut, or thinly shredded or sliced cabbage, mixed with one tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 avocado
- ⅛ of a lemon or a lime
- 3 corn taco shells (or 2 slices of sourdough bread)
- 2 Tbs vegan mayonnaise
- A squirt of Sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- Squeeze tofu slightly between your hands to extract fluids, and then chop into small cubes, each slightly smaller than 1-square inch.
- In a square or rectangular bowl, mix marinade from soy, rice vinegar, hot sauce and water. Soak tofu cubes in marinade, covered with plastic wrap or lid, overnight (or at least a few hours; it can also stay in the marinade for a few days, soaking up flavour as it goes along, so don’t hesitate to plan several meals from this tofu). Give the tofu pieces a stir every few hours, to ensure all are evenly coated with sauce.
- When tofu has soaked thoroughly and you’re ready to eat, heat up your shells (or slices of sourdough bread) on a medium-hot pan without any oil. When shells are ready, remove from heat and wrap tightly in a towel.
- If homemade sauerkraut is unavailable, mix ½ a cup of thinly sliced cabbage with a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Pit and roughly chop avocado. Drizzle with the juice of ⅛ of a lemon and a small pinch of salt.
- Mix mayonnaise with a squirt of hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Assemble your tacos (or sandwich): start with a layer of avocado, then a layer of tofu cubes, followed by homemade sauerkraut (or sliced cabbage), and a few drops (or a smear) of spicy mayonnaise. Tuck in, but ensure you have a plate nearby to catch all the delicious juices!