Amy Tuckett was so kind to share this vegan recipe with us!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used more like 6 cloves – I love garlicky soup!)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (16 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 – 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth or water
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow cooker and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Add in potatoes, tomatoes and red pepper. Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
This soup freezes VERY well. I find the longer it is frozen for (to some extent) the tastier it is. I normally get about 10 individual sized portions from this recipe. It is a hearty soup so eating it over rice is also a great choice.